A SWAT Team Shot a Mother and Child Last Week

—– Original Message —–
From: "Cher" <cneufer@neo.rr.com>
To: <NorthOhioNORMLmembers@yahoogroups.com>; <northohio@norml.net>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 7:28 PM
Subject: NON: Fw: A SWAT Team Shot a Mother and Child Last Week

>A SWAT Team Shot a Mother and Child Last WeekThis is worth pursuing! It is
>just like what happened to Clayton Helriggle; only 22 yrs. old, Preeble
>county…..North Ohio NORML was involved in the protests and help for the
>family.
>
>
>
> Enough is Enough: Petition to Stop the
> Reckless Drug Raids
>
> Dear Cher Neufer,
>
>
>
> One would think after Atlanta police killed
> 92-year-old Kathryn Johnston, that they would get the idea, but they
> haven’t, and the carnage continues. Last Friday, 1/4/08, a SWAT team,
> serving an ordinary drug search warrant, invaded the Ohio home of Tarika
> Wilson — an innocent woman — shot and killed her, and shot her
> one-year-old son. "They went in that home shooting," her mother said at a
> vigil that night. The boy lost at least one of his fingers. Two dogs were
> shot too.
>
> SWAT teams were created to deal with extreme
> situations, not routine ones. Yet police now conduct tens of thousands of
> SWAT raids every year, mostly in low-level drug enforcement. The result is
> that people like Wilson and Johnston continue to die in terror, with many
> thousands more having to go on living with trauma. But it’s all for a drug
> war that has failed and can’t be made to work.
>
> It’s time to rein in the SWAT teams. Please
> read and sign our online petition: "Enough is Enough: Petition to Limit
> Paramilitary Police Raids in America." A copy will be sent in your name to
> your US Representative and Senators, your state legislators, your
> governor, and the president. (Outside US goes only to the president.) When
> you’re done, please tell your friends and please spread the word wherever
> you can.
>
> This is a first step. Take it with us today,
> and there can be more. No more needless deaths from reckless SWAT raids!
>
> Visit http://stopthedrugwar.org/policeraids
> for more information about these cases and this issue, including our
> October Zogby poll showing that 66% of Americans, when informed about the
> issue, don’t think police should use aggressive entry tactics when doing
> routine drug enforcement.
>
> Thank you for helping to restore sanity to
> the justice system and to end the brutal "war on drugs."
>
> Sincerely,
>
> David Borden, Executive Director
> StoptheDrugWar.org (DRCNet)
> P.O. Box 18402, Washington, DC 20036
> http://stopthedrugwar.org
>
>
> Sign this petition and notify:
> President George W. Bush
> Your Congressperson
> Your Governor
> Your Senators
> Your State Representative
> Your State Senator
>
> "Enough Is Enough": Petition to Limit
> Paramilitary Police Raids in America
>
> Whereas:
>
> * the killing of 92-year-old Kathryn Johnston
> by Atlanta police on a "no-knock" raid is only one of many needless
> tragedies both before and since;
>
> * the cause of Johnston’s death —
> paramilitary policing and the proliferation of "SWAT" teams — is a
> frightening and dangerous consequence of the failing "drug war" and
> inconsistent with the idea of community policing;
>
> * the drug war concept itself has inflamed
> the judgment of many law enforcers, undermining the nuance and caution
> needed of peace officers.
>
> We, the undersigned, therefore, call for:
>
> * a nationwide ban on the use of aggressive
> police entry tactics in most non-emergency situations;
>
> * a "bright line" to be drawn between police
> and military, both operations and training;
>
> * reform or termination of programs and
> policies that have encouraged reckless or unethical behavior in the
> criminal justice system;
>
> * greater accountability to be required from
> law enforcement agencies, and systems to ensure it, with regard to this
> nationwide problem; and
>
> * the Judiciary Committees of federal, state
> and local legislatures to hold hearings on no-knock drug raids,
> paramilitary policing, confidential informants, and the related issues.
> Such proceedings should prominently feature testimony from victims of
> botched raids, or their survivors, and should address the detailed
> recommendations at http://stopthedrugwar.org/policeraids online.
>
> It is not lightly that we seek to constrain
> the choices available to law enforcers, but the police community has been
> unable or unwilling to police itself. We respect the risks law enforcers
> face in the course of their duties. But the police mission is to make the
> rest of us more safe, not less. Furthermore, in most situations SWAT raids
> actually increase the danger to police officers, by escalating fear and
> tension.
>
> We in the public have the right — the
> innocent, even those suspected but by law presumed innocent — to be safe
> in our homes and not be shot, burned by flash grenades or traumatized by
> extreme police raid tactics when there are alternatives. For the sake of
> public safety, the routine use of SWAT teams must be stopped. Enough is
> enough!
>
> — END —
>
>
> Sign this Petition!
> Instructions:
> Sign this petition
>
> Tell-A-Friend:
> Visit the web address below to tell your
> friends about this.
> Tell-a-Friend!
>
> What’s At Stake:
>
> In November 2006, 92-year-old Kathryn
> Johnston was killed by police during a raid conducted at the wrong house.
> Ms. Johnston fired at the police officers as they were breaking in through
> her living room window. Three officers were injured, but Ms. Johnston was
> struck 39 times and died at the scene.
>
> In July 2007, Mike Lefort, 61, and his
> mother, Thelma, 83, were surprised and thrown to the ground when
> Thibodeau, Louisiana police burst into the wrong house with a "no knock"
> warrant. Thelma suffered from a spike in her blood pressure and had a
> difficult time overcoming the shock.
>
> In March 2007, masked police officers in
> Jacksonville, Florida, mistakenly burst into the home of Willie Davis,
> grandfather of murdered DreShawna Davis, and his mentally disabed son. The
> pair were forced to the ground, where they watched helplessly as police
> tore apart the memorabilia from DreShawn’s funeral. The drug sale that
> never happened was said to involve all of two crack rocks worth $60.
>
> One would think after Atlanta police killed
> 92-year-old Kathryn Johnston, that they would get the idea, but they
> haven’t. Last Friday, 1/4/08, a SWAT team, serving an ordinary drug search
> warrant, invaded the Ohio home of Tarika Wilson — an innocent woman —
> shot and killed her, and shot her one-year-old son. "They went in that
> home shooting," her mother said at a vigil that night. The boy lost at
> least one of his fingers. Two dogs were shot too.
>
> SWAT teams were created to deal with extreme
> situations, not routine ones. Yet police now conduct tens of thousands of
> SWAT raids every year, mostly in low-level drug enforcement. The result is
> that people like Wilson and Johnston continue to die in terror, with many
> thousands more having to go on living with trauma. But it’s all for a drug
> war that has failed and can’t be made to work.
>
> It’s time to rein in the SWAT teams. Please
> sign our online petition: "Enough is Enough: Petition to Limit
> Paramilitary Police Raids in America." A copy will be sent in your name to
> your US Representative and Senators, your state legislators, your
> governor, and the president. When you’re done, please tell your friends
> and please spread the word wherever you can.
>
> This is a first step. Take it with us today,
> and there can be more. Enough is enough — no more needless deaths from
> reckless SWAT raids!
>
> Visit http://stopthedrugwar.org/policeraids
> for more information about this issue, including our October Zogby poll
> showing that 66% of Americans, when informed about the issue, don’t think
> police should use aggressive entry tactics when doing routine drug
> enforcement.
>
> StoptheDrugWar.org (still known to many of
> our readers as DRCNet, the Drug Reform Coordination Network), is an
> international organization working for an end to drug prohibition
> worldwide and for reform of drug policy and the criminal justice system in
> the US. Visit http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle for the latest issue of
> our acclaimed weekly newsletter, Drug War Chronicle.
>
> Campaign Expiration Date:
> December 31, 2008
>
>
>
>
> ————————————————————–
>
>
> If you received this message from a friend, you can sign
> up for DRCNet.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> —————————————————————————
> Attachment: http://norml.net/attached/21YqdRkWiE1iE.html
> =======================================================================
> To unsubscribe, send an email to northohio-remove@norml.net
>
>
> —
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.1/1220 – Release Date: 1/11/2008
> 6:09 PM
>
>

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s